With spring finally here, it’s time to update your winter beauty routine to a new, fresh you. Why spend a lot of money on brand name deep conditioners when you can make your own with the ingredients in your kitchen! After I shampoo my hair, I deep condition it once a week. Below are some of my favorite and easy DIY hair routines.
1. Strengthen with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil penetrates your hair quicker than most conditioners. It reduces hair breakage, frizz, dandruff, and can promote hair growth. Not to mention, it also smells great! Honey, a natural humectant, attracts moisture and has loads of antioxidants and nutrients. After I wash my hair, I apply my coconut oil deep conditioner:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (in its liquid state)
- 2 tablespoons inexpensive conditioner (Schwarzkopf, Pantene Pro-V, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Stir all of the ingredients together until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Work the conditioner into your hair, starting with your ends and working your way up to your roots. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse out and style as usual.
Coconut oil has a low melting point. You do not need to put it into the microwave to melt. Place your bottle of coconut oil in a bowl filled with hot water (hot tap water will suffice).
Depending on the thickness of your hair, you may not want the coconut oil residing on your strands. For those with thin hair, you can deep condition your hair before you shampoo so the coconut oil doesn’t weigh down your hair.
2. Detangle with Avocado By now, we all know that avocados are extremely healthy – loaded with fatty acids, fiber and an abundant amount of nutrients and vitamins – they can also be seared, grilled or sautéed several ways. As well as nourishing our bodies, they are also great for nourishing our hair. Olive oil is rich in fatty acids, Vitamins A and E, and antioxidants. These primary elements add shine, body and softness to your hair. Below is my hair recipe:
- 1 overripe avocado
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. If needed, add more olive oil to reach your desired consistency. Apply the creamy mixture to your hair and let it absorb for 30 minutes under a shower cap. Rinse out and style as usual.
3. Improve Elasticity with Banana Bananas are loaded with potassium, naturals oils and vitamins, which all play a role in softening your hair and protecting your natural hair’s elasticity and preventing breakage. Bananas make your hair more manageable to brush through, as well as shinier and softer.
- 1 overripe banana or 1 jar of baby banana food
- 4-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
Slice your banana and place it into your blender. Add the olive oil and honey and blend until smooth. Make sure you thoroughly blend your banana so there are no chucks remaining. Saturate your hair with your banana mixture. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it soak in for 20 minutes. Rinse out and style as usual.
Depending on the length of your hair, you may need to alter the ratio of ingredients. If you want any of the above hair conditioners to penetrate even more into your hair and scalp, sit under a hood dryer or steamer for the designated amount of time. If you do not have a hood dryer or steamer, create a DIY hair steamer yourself!
What is your favorite deep conditioner? How often do you deep condition your hair?